Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

TODAY'S BARGAINOMICS BIBLE PASSAGE

Continuing our look at some of the Old Testament prophecies about Jesus, we come to Psalm 35:11: “Malicious witnesses come forward; they question me about things I do not know.”

Jesus was illegally arrested as He prayed in the Garden – no warrant had been issued, no formal charge had been made. He was then brought before Annas, the father-in-law of the high priest Caiaphas – I hope you’ll read the full account in John 18. To be arrested and then questioned in private by a single individual was also against the Jews’ own governing regulations.


Then they convened an assembly, another illegal act since meeting at night – or literally, before the morning sacrifice – was unlawful. Jesus stood before the Sanhedrin (the chief priests, elders, and scribes), and Mark records this as happening: “…many were giving false testimony against Him, but the testimonies did not agree. Some stood up and were…stating, ‘We heard him say, ‘I will demolish this sanctuary made by [human] hands, and in three days I will build another not made by hands.’
Yet their testimony did not agree even on this” (Mark 14:56-59).

Ever told a lie? Once you tell one, it seems to always require another to support the first one, and then another one to support the second one, and on and on it goes. Pretty soon you’re stumbling over your own words, unable to keep track of all of the stories. This was the mess the Sanhedrin and their hired liars had gotten themselves into.


And what did Jesus do about it? Mark continues to tell us: “Then the high priest stood up before them all and questioned Jesus, ‘Don’t you have an answer to what these men are testifying against you?’ But He kept silent and did not answer anything” (Mark 14:60-61a).

 

There’s an extremely valuable lesson in Jesus’ response here. Folks, a liar will always be found out. Haven’t you ever noticed that they’re the ones who so frantically defend what they’ve told? Truth doesn’t have to be shoved down people’s throats – only a lie is that difficult to swallow.

We need to be very careful not to allow any liar to upset us. Why? Because we know that “our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against…the spiritual forces of evil” (Ephesians 6:12), and we know that Satan “is a liar and the father of liars” (John 8:44b).


Many years ago I was at a Christian retreat and one of the other speakers present told the director of the retreat something untrue about me. I was hurt that this person would do such a thing, but I gave it to the Lord and let Him deal with it. And He did. The Lord continues to increase my opportunities to represent Him before audiences. Why? Because I have a Great Defender who will never ever fail me.


And so do you. Let the Lord fight your battles; rest in Him and HE will take care of the victory! Got a problem with a liar? Personalize this prayer from the psalms of David: “May the Lord my rock be praised... He is my faithful love and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer. He is my shield, and I take refuge in him; …rescue me…, and set me free from the grasp of [put the name/s here] whose mouths speak lies, whose right [hand/s is/are] deceptive” (from Psalm 144:1-2, 7-8).

No comments:

Post a Comment